Roasted beetroot is simply and quickly transformed into a delicious Beetroot and Goats’ cheese tart in this recipe. Beetroot is available year-round but is particularly good in the early summer when the roots are young and vibrant.
The tart can be varied by whatever fresh vegetables you have available. Try a different cheese, or different beans or peas. The technique will remain the same, the tastes very different. By far, though, the best combination is using the beetroot. The sweetness with the tang of the cheese is incomparable. A classic combination.
Serve the tart warm, or save and cool for a perfect lunch box, picnic or party buffet treat. Make individual tarts as seen here, or make it as one large one and cut into pieces. The choice is yours.
- 1 pound puff pastry (ready made)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 4 ounces peas (shelled)
- 4 ounces red peppers (in oil, drained)
- 4 ounces goat cheese (crumbled)
- 4 ounces beetroot (cooked; cut into chunks)
- 1 small bunch parsley
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F/Gas 6
- Lightly dust a work surface with the flour, roll out the puff pastry to 1/8″/4mm thick.
- Cut out 4 discs with a 4 ½”/11.5cm round pastry cutter.
- Score around the pastry discs 1cm away from the edge using a sharp knife, do not cut right through the pastry.
- Brush the edges with the beaten egg.
- Place onto a nonstick baking try and cook for 20 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Remove the inner part with a small knife.
- While the pastry cooks, bring a pan of salted water to the boil, cook the peas for 2 minutes, drain and refresh under cold water for another minute, drain and set aside.
- Cut the peppers into thick slices and then place into a medium sized bowl with the peas, goat’s cheese, beetroot and parsley.
- In a small bowl mix together the extra virgin olive oil and Balsamic vinegar, add 2 tbsp to the vegetables and goats cheese, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place the pastry discs on 4 plates and fill with the vegetables and goats cheese, drizzle the rest of the dressing around the plates and serve.
- Total:40 mins
- Prep:20 mins
- Cook:20 mins
- Yield:Serves 4
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|