Breakfast nachos are the decadent brunch dish your life has been missing. We took the classic Tex-Mex dish to the next level by topping them with chorizo, eggs, sour cream, and all of our other favorite nacho toppings. It’s the perfect guilty pleasure breakfast or fun and different appetizer for the big game.
You can change up the toppings to suit any cravings. Try bacon, breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, chile verde salsa… the possibilities are endless.34 Breakfast for Dinner Recipes to Wake Up Your Weeknights
- 1/2 pound fresh or pre-cooked chorizo sausage
- 1 (10-ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup taco sauce
- 1 avocado (sliced or diced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 jalapeno (sliced)
- Garnish: fresh cilantro, scallions, lime wedges
Steps to Make It
- Gather your ingredients. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- If using fresh chorizo, brown it in a medium sized skillet on high heat for about 5 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through and browned. Stir as you are cooking.
- Spread out the tortilla chips onto a parchment paper lined-baking sheet.
- Cover the chips with the shredded cheese and the cooked chorizo.
- Make 6 little wells in the chips and crack an egg into each one. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the top.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven on the lowest rack. Cook until the egg whites are cooked through and the yolks are to your desired doneness, about 15 minutes.
- Add more cheese to the top if you wish.
- Drizzle the taco sauce over the top of the nachos and top with the sliced avocado and cherry tomatoes.
- Top with the sour cream, sliced jalapenos, and any of the garnishes that you want. The scallions, cilantro, and lime all add great flavor and color.
- Serve immediately with more sour cream and taco sauce!
- Replace the cracked eggs with scrambled eggs. You can cook them in the same pan that you used for the chorizo. Layer the scrambled eggs under the cheese so they don’t get over cooked.
- Replace the chorizo with bacon or breakfast sausage. Or if you’re feeling over-the-top, use all three. You can also leave out the meat and use black beans instead.
- Add a fresh salsa, green chile sauce, or other favorite salsa.
- You can also add chopped red onions.
- Make sure to line your baking sheet with something, or else you will have seriously stuck on cheese.
- Make sure to cook the nachos on the lowest rack of the oven so the chips don’t get over browned and the cheese doesn’t get too hard.
- Once the chips come out of the oven you can top them with more shredded cheese for extra gooeyness. The heat from the chips will melt the extra cheese.
- Total:20 mins
- Prep:5 mins
- Cook:15 mins
- Yield:1 pan (8 servings)