This crab rangoon recipe comes from Shirley Fong-Torres, who learned the recipe from her father, the original chef at Trader Vic’s restaurant. Her company, Wok Wiz Walking Tours and Cooking Center, runs a popular series of culinary and historical walking tours in San Francisco throughout the year.
- 1/2 pound cooked crab meat or smoked salmon, lightly flaked
- 1 teaspoon green onion, finely minced
- 1/4 pound cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon steak sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 pound wonton wrappers
- 1 beaten egg or 2 egg whites
Steps to Make It
- Combine crab meat or smoked salmon, green onion, cream cheese, steak sauce, and garlic.
- Place 1/2 teaspoon of mixture in the center of the wonton wrapper; fold square over to form a triangle. Lightly brush the center with the beaten egg.
- Bring opposite corners together and press gently, so filling will be secure. Place oil in wok and heat to 375 F for deep-frying.
- Deep-fry one crab or salmon puff and adjust heat downwards if necessary. Fry rest of puffs until delicately brown, less than two minutes. Serve hot.
- Total:14 mins
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:4 mins
- Yield:4-6 Crab Puffs (4-6 Servings)