This easy and great-tasting clam chowder cooks in the crockpot in just 4 hours. Made with potatoes, milk, bacon (or salt pork), and canned minced clams, our thick and creamy recipe is satisfying and full of flavor. Clams are a great source of protein at a relatively low caloric cost, as 100 g has 150 calories but 25 grams of protein (one egg has 6 grams), plus several vitamins and minerals.
We use bottled clam juice as the cooking liquid, but water or chicken stock may be used instead. If you use salted or low-sodium chicken broth, go easy on the salt, taste halfway and once the chowder is done add more if needed.
This creamy soup is a great lunch or dinner on a cold day, and because it’s made in the crockpot, it can be transported easily to potlucks. Serve with oyster crackers, saltines, or French bread.
- 6 ounces salt pork (or bacon, diced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 (6 1/2-ounce) cans minced clams (with juice)
- 6 to 8 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 3 cups water (low-sodium chicken broth or clam juice)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups half and half cream (or whole milk, divided)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- If necessary, chop or slice the clams into bite-sized pieces.
- In a skillet, fry the ham or diced bacon and onion until golden brown. Drain and set aside. Alternately, if you have a crockpot that has a sauté feature, fry the bacon right in the crockpot, then drain some of the fat.
- Add the pork or bacon and onion to the slow cooker; add the clams and mix well.
- Add the cubed potatoes and the water, low-sodium chicken broth, or clam juice. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and the freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours or until the vegetables are tender.
- As the crockpot mixture completes 3 hours of cooking, combine 1 cup of milk or half-and-half with the cornstarch.
- Add the cornstarch mixture and the remaining 3 cups of milk or half-and-half to the slow cooker and stir to blend. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more salt, if needed. Let the dairy mixture heat up.
- Top each bowl of chowder with a sprinkling of chopped fresh parsley.
- Total:4 hrs 25 mins
- Prep:25 mins
- Cook:4 hrs
- Yield:Serves 8
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|