This Thanksgiving, try making your own homemade tofu turkey, complete with vegetarian stuffing inside. There are a few different steps involved, though the process is very simple. A homemade tofu turkey will be the pride and joy of your vegetarian or vegan Thanksgiving celebration!
Serve your homemade tofu turkey with vegetarian gravy and a side of vegetarian stuffing.
- 5 blocks firm or extra-firm tofu (well pressed)
- 2 tablespoon fresh sage (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary (minced)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable broth powder
- 2 tablespoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 cups prepared vegetarian stuffing
Steps to Make It
- Gather the ingredients.
- Working in batches as needed, process the tofu in a blender or food processor until smooth and creamy.
- Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, and stir in the sage, thyme, rosemary, vegetable broth powder, and poultry seasoning, stirring well to combine.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth or a thin towel.
- Place the tofu in the colander and a layer of cheesecloth or a thin towel on top. Place a weight on top of the towel to gently press the tofu.
- Place on a plate or towel and chill for at least 3 hours.
- Once the tofu is chilled and firm, scoop out the tofu in the middle, creating a hole or a well, and leaving about 1 1/2 inches of a tofu “shell” in the colander.
- Gently pat your stuffing into the “well,” then gently press the extra tofu on top.
- Carefully invert your tofu turkey onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Whisk together the balsamic vinegar, red wine, Dijon mustard, and soy sauce.
- Generously baste or brush the mixture on tofu.
- Bake for about 90 minutes at 350 F, basting again every 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Total:110 mins
- Prep:20 mins
- Cook:90 mins
- Yield:1 tofu turkey (8 to 10 servings)
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|