This is teaches you how to open and read an EPUB (also known as “eBook”) file on your computer or mobile platform, including a Kindle. If opening the EPUB file sounds like too much work for your preferred platform, you can also convert the file into a PDF, which is readable on virtually any platform. Keep in mind that eBooks which have DRM protection typically cannot be converted or moved to different platforms.
- 1 Consider using Microsoft Edge. If you’re using a Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer, Microsoft Edge—a pre-installed browser—can be used to open EPUB files. To do so, simply double-click an EPUB file, then scroll through as needed.
- Microsoft Edge’s user interface isn’t very sophisticated. If you’d prefer to use a dedicated program to open your EPUB files, skip this step and read on.
- 2 Open the Calibre website. Go to http://calibre-ebook.com/ in your computer’s web browser. Calibre is a program which allows you to open and collect EPUB files.
- One of the benefits that Calibre has over Microsoft Edge is that you can create and access a library of EPUB files from within the Calibre program.
- 3 Click DOWNLOAD. It’s a tab in the upper-right side of the page. Doing so takes you to the Downloads page.
- 5 Click Download calibre. It’s a link near the top of the page. The Calibre setup file (which is an EXE file) will download onto your computer.
- You may be prompted to select a save location or verify the download before the setup file actually downloads.
- 6 Install Calibre. Double-click the Calibre EXE file, then do the following:
- Check the “Accept” box.
- Click Install
- Click Yes when prompted.
- 7 Launch Calibre. When prompted, make sure that the “Launch calibre” box is checked, then click Finish at the bottom of the window. This will start the Calibre reader.
- 8 Navigate through Calibre’s setup. Click Next at the bottom of the first two pages, then click Finish at the bottom of the third page. This will complete the Calibre installation and open Calibre’s user interface.
- Skip this step if Calibre opens to the user interface.
- 9 Click Add books. This green button is in the upper-left side of the window. A File Explorer window will open.
- 10 Add an EPUB file to Calibre. Click the EPUB file that you want to add to your library, then click Open in the bottom-right corner of the window.
- You can select more than one EPUB file at once by holding down Ctrl while clicking each EPUB file that you want to select.
- 11 Open an EPUB file. Double-click a book’s title in the main window to open it. The book’s text and images will appear in a new window; you can scroll up or down to page through the book as needed.
Method 1 Quiz
- What is the benefit of using Calibre over Microsoft Edge for your EPUB files?Microsoft Edge only works with PDFs.Calibre lets you create a library of EPUB files.You can read a wider variety of EPUB file formats on Calibre.
- 1 Select an EPUB file. Go to your EPUB file’s location, then click the EPUB file that you want to open.
- 3 Select Open With. This option is near the top of the File drop-down menu. Selecting it prompts a pop-out menu to appear.
- 4 Click iBooks. It’s in the pop-out menu. Doing so will both open iBooks and add the EPUB file to the iBooks library.
- You can also open iBooks and then click and drag the EPUB file into the iBooks window.
- 5 Open your EPUB file. Double-click the EPUB file’s book title in the main iBooks window to open it. Your EPUB file’s book will open in a new window, at which point you can scroll up or down through the book as needed.
- You may first have to click the All Books tab in the upper-left side of the window.
Method 2 Quiz
- Where can you find the “iBooks” option to add your EPUB file to your Mac library?Under the “File” drop-down menu.Under the “All Books” tab.In the pop-out menu under the “Open With” option.
- 1 Make sure that the EPUB file is on your iPhone. In order to open the EPUB file on your iPhone, it will need to be in your iPhone’s Files app. You can add the EPUB file to your Files app by selecting the EPUB file wherever it is (e.g., in your email), tapping the “Share” icon , tapping Save to Files, and selecting a file location.
- Some storage locations, such as Google Drive, will have a slightly different save process (for example, if your EPUB file is in Google Drive, you’d tap the EPUB file and then tap Open in in the resulting menu before tapping Save to Files).
- 2 Open the EPUB file’s location. Open Files, tap Browse, select the proper storage option (e.g., On My iPhone), and select the folder in which you saved the EPUB file (if applicable).
- 3 Tap the EPUB file. Doing this will prompt the EPUB file to add itself to iBooks, which is a free app that came installed on your iPhone or iPad.
- If you deleted iBooks from your iPhone or iPad, you can re-download it from the App Store.
- 4 Tap the My Books tab. You’ll find it in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Doing so brings up a list of your current books, one of which should be your EPUB file’s book.
- 5 Open the EPUB file. Tap the name of the EPUB book to do so. Once the EPUB file is open, you can scroll through it by swiping left or right.
- Once the EPUB file is in your iBooks library, you can re-open the EPUB file at any time by opening the iBooks app, tapping My Books, and selecting the title of the book that you want to read.
Method 3 Quiz
- Where does your EPUB file need to be located on your iPhone before you can open and add the file to iBooks?My Books.The Files app.An email account.
- 1 Install Google Play Books. Google Play Books is a free e-book reader for Android that can read EPUB files.
- 5 Check the “Enable PDF uploading” box. This makes it possible to add both PDF and EPUB files.
- 6 Send the EPUB file to your Android. If the EPUB file is on your computer, you’ll need to get it onto your Android. The most effective way to do this is to email yourself the file:
- 8 Open the EPUB email. You should see the EPUB file attached at the bottom of the email, though you may need to scroll down first.
- 9 Tap the EPUB attachment. Doing so will prompt Google Play Books to open and import the EPUB file.
- 10Read your e-book. When the book is finished uploading to Google Play Books, you’ll arrive at the EBOOKS folder in your library. Tap the book’s title to start reading it.
- To see a list of your uploaded EPUB books next time you open Google Play Books, tap the Library tab at the bottom of the screen, then tap EBOOKS at the top of the screen.
- How can you read PDFs in Google Play Books?Choose the “Enable PDF Uploading” option in settings.Email the PDF to yourself.Convert your EPUB file to a PDF.All of the above.
Transferring an EPUB File to a Kindle
- 1 Convert the EPUB to a MOBI file. Before an EPUB file can be read on a Kindle Fire or Paperwhite, you’ll need to convert the file to the MOBI format. You can do this by going to the EPUB Converter site at https://www.epubconverter.com/epub-to-mobi-converter/ and then doing the following:
- Click Add File…
- Select your EPUB file.
- Click Open
- Click Start Upload
- Click the MOBI file’s link in the “Download Link” column.
- 2 Copy the MOBI file. Click the MOBI file to select it, then press Ctrl+C (Windows) or ⌘ Command+C (Mac) to copy the file.
- 3 Connect your Kindle to your computer. Plug the charging end of your Kindle’s charger cable into the Kindle, then plug the USB end of the cable into your computer.
- If you’re using a Mac, you may need a USB 3.0 to USB-C adapter in order to connect the cable to your Mac.
- 4 Open the Kindle. To do so:
- 5 Open the “Documents” folder. Double-click the “Documents” folder that’s in your Kindle’s folder to do so.
- You may first need to unlock the Kindle and/or double-click the “Internal Storage” folder.
- If you’re using a Kindle Fire, you’ll open the “Books” folder instead.
- 7 Wait for the MOBI file to finish transferring. When the indicator light on your Kindle’s cable stops blinking, you can proceed.
- 8 Eject your Kindle. This will ensure that your files are saved before you remove the Kindle from your computer:
- If you’re plugging a Kindle into a new Mac to transfer an EPUB file, what might you need?A USB-C adapter.A USB 3.0 adapter.A USB 3.0 Kindle charging cord.
Converting an EPUB to PDF
- 1 Save your EPUB file to a familiar folder. You can convert your EPUB file into a PDF file, which can be opened on most platforms without special software.
- If you have several EPUB files, you may want to move them all to the same folder to make it simple to convert multiple files.
- 2 Open the EPUB Converter website. Go to http://www.epubconverter.com/ in your computer’s web browser.
- 3 Click EPUB to PDF Converter. It’s a link below the “EPUB Converter” heading in the upper-left corner of the page.
- 4 Scroll down and click Add File…. This yellow button is near the middle of the page. Doing so will open a window in which you can select your EPUB file.
- 5 Select your EPUB file. Go to the location in which you saved your EPUB file, then click the file in question.
- 6 Click Open. It’s in the bottom-right corner of the window. Doing so uploads your file to the EPUB Converter site.
- 7 Click Start Upload. You’ll find this yellow button to the right of the EPUB file’s name. The file will begin to upload to the EPUB Converter site; once you see the file name turn into a blue link with “.pdf” at the end of it, you may proceed.
- The file may take a few minutes to upload.
- 8 Download the PDF. Click the blue PDF’s name link in the “Download Link” column to do so. The PDF will download onto your computer, where you can double-click it to open it in your computer’s default PDF reader.
- Depending on your browser’s settings, you may first need to select a save location or verify the download before the PDF will download.
Image Source: Wiki How