Software piracy is the unauthorized copying of software. The software is then given or sold to an unlicensed user, who is left with illegal, often defective software. To help combat the problem, you can report it directly to the developer or to an industry group. The following is a guide on how to report software piracy.
Report software piracy to Microsoft.
- 1 Contact Microsoft via an Internet form, email, or phone.
- Only do this if the software was made by Microsoft.
- For the Internet form, visit it at the following URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/cfr/report.aspx.
- To contact Microsoft via email, use the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To contact Microsoft via phone, call (800) RU-LEGIT.
- 2 Describe the software piracy to Microsoft.
- Upon notification of the software piracy, they may send a letter to the suspected offender stating the allegations.
- Microsoft may send a secret shopper to verify that the suspected offender is engaging in software piracy.
- You may be contacted for further information.
- Microsoft may send a cease and desist letter to the suspected offender.
- Microsoft may take legal action against the suspected offender.
Report software piracy to Adobe.
- 1 Complete the form on the following URL: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/antipiracy/reportform.html.
- Only do this if the software was made by Adobe.
Report software piracy to Borland.
- 1 Contact Borland by phone, email, or an Internet form.
- Only do this if the software was made by Borland.
- To contact Borland by phone, call (800) 552-5888 (in the US) or 1+512-340-7081 (outside the US).
- To contact Borland by email, send an email to email@example.com.
- 2 Provide details about the case to Borland.
- Provide the offending company’s name, address, and phone number.
- Provide the name of a contact person at the offending company.
- Provide a reason why you suspect software piracy.
- Provide the name of the pirated product(s).
- Provide the number of suspected illegal installations.
- Provide your name (optional).
- Provide your phone number (optional).
Report software piracy to Intuit.
- 1 Report suspected cases of software piracy online through the Intuit website. Only do this if the software is developed by Intuit.
Report software piracy to Oracle.
- 1 Email a description of the case to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Only do this if the software was made by Oracle.
Report software piracy to the Business Software Alliance.
- 1 Report the case of software piracy by visiting the following URL: https://reporting.bsa.org/usa/report/add.aspx?.
Report software piracy to the Software and Information Industry Association.
- 4 Call (800) 388-7478 to report the issue (optional).
- Only do this if you prefer not to do so on the Internet.
Report software piracy to the Federation Against Software Theft (FAST).
- 2 If you have any questions about how to report software piracy, call +44 (0) 1628 640060 or email email@example.com.